. If you want to play, comment here and I'll give you a letter!
She gave me the letter S:
1. Siouxsie Sioux. That hardly needs explaining, but I will anyway. For a long time I was rather set against liking Siouxsie and the Banshees because as a goth girl everybody assumed I would love her. I am often pigheaded that way. But then I started really listening, not to mention dancing, first to the Creatures and then to the Banshees and then her new solo album is something that has really resonated with me, so now I believe she is the cat's pyjamas and I probably do gothic belly dance more often to music she is involved with than any other artist.
2. Seals. I fell in love with them in Alaska. So bright and pretty and fluid with limpid eyes, and also tough and wolf-like with big teeth.
3. Souhair Zaki. A classic Egyptian dancer with ever so precise hip work and the sweetest smile ever.
4. Scimitars. Specifically, my baladi scimitar from Kult of Athena. Other scimitars might be bigger and fancier but I like this one just fine.
5. Saudade, or the experience thereof. A perfectly balanced state of longing and joy, satisfaction and loss, crying because you are so happy, laughing because you are so sad.
6. Seti. Speaking of saudade. He's no longer here but he will always be one of my favorite things in the world.
7. Sushi. yum yum yum!
8. Savasana. The all too rare moments when my apartment and my neighborhood and my brain are all quiet and calm enough to enter true relaxation are precious.
9. Samba. I don't think I'll ever be much good at it but it's fun and it pushes me to pick up my feet and move fast.
10. Salon.com. I read it pretty much every day. It unabashedly comes from a particular ideological orientation but I think is also pretty fair in its reporting, and since the ideological orientation is copasetic with my own, it sits well with me. The one shortcoming is the entertainment reporting, as I think most of their TV and movie critics are not that smart. I like the guy who writes the independent film blog though.
Wow, the prettiest black and purple butterfly just landed in the tree outside my window! I am thinking it is a black swallowtail
, after googling. Mine looked more purple where the photo looks blue, but that could have been its iridescence. Pretty!